Graphic design is the art of the profession of visual communication that combines images, ideas, and words to convey a piece of information to an audience especially for you to produce a specific effect. For one to fully understand the meaning of graphic design you need to have a solid understanding of the elements and the principles that are makeup design.
Here are some elements of graphic design.
Elements of art are basically the elements of design which are:
- Shape – This is a dimensional defined area that is created by lines. There are different types of shapes like the organic shape, geometric and abstract which are all elements of design.
- Line – Line is the most basic element of design which can be formed in different angles. Lines can be curved, thin, straight, thick and many more. A line is an element of design that is defined by a point moving in a shape.
- Color – This is one of the elements that attracts attention because there is a feeling that colors evoke. Some of the main characteristics to color are how dark or light the color is and the purity of the color.
- Texture – This refers to how things may look like or feel like if they are touched. A texture of something can be rough, smooth, soft, glossy and many more and it is also used in drawing attention.
- Size – This defines how big or small something is. It is used to create visual interest in a design by using different sizes.
- Space – These are areas in the design that are left blank. Designers would create space between, below, around or anywhere intentionally to add emphasis on the areas of the design.
What are some Principles of Graphic Design?
The principle of design should suggest how the designer arranges the various components of a page layout to make sure that the elements of the overall design are well connected to each other. They include:
- Alignment – This is all about keeping your design well organized. All aspects of design should always be well aligned to create a visual connection between the elements.
- Balance – For one to archive visual balance in graphic design you have to use symmetry and asymmetry. They are used to ensure the elements are evenly distributed. Balance is very important since it provides structure and stability to a design.
- Repetition – once you know on how to use your elements then you need to repeat those patterns throughout the design because repetition ties together individual elements and as well as strengthening the design as it creates an organized movement.
- Proximity – This creates a visual relationship between the elements of design. It minimizes clutter and increases viewer comprehension as it provides a focal point of view.
- Contrast – It is uses to emphasize on certain aspects of design. It allows you to stress the difference between elements, in highlighting the key elements of your design as you may want them to look.
What are some of the Graphic design tools?
Graphic design has really evolved with continuous digitalization, but our designers are still using the traditional graphic design tools which are pencil and paper. Some of the graphic designers use both traditional and digital technologies. As a graphic designer, you need to sketch what you want to have on paper with a pencil before anything else is done.
Some designers use computers with the help of graphic design software. And with these tools, graphic design has been enhanced in a very creative process of exploring good ideas and archiving good designs more quickly as it was before. Some of the types of graphic design include:
- Marketing and advertising designs
- Corporate design
- Environmental design
- Publication design
- Web design
- Motion design
- Packaging design
Who is a graphic designer and what does a graphic designer do?
A graphic designer creates visual concepts that provide solutions and different ideas that are educational, that inspire, inform and captivate consumers. Graphic designers combine both arts and technology to produce and end product results that well resonates with the target audience that they have.
Graphic designers have different goals because they focus on making whatever different organizations require them to make. They work smart and help in building the brand identity of different organizations as well as communicating their message through visually pleasing content.
As we have learned above graphic design entails a lot of things and they are done differently as there are many different types of graphic design that can work in different settings of organizations.
Just as any other career, graphic design is important as well more so in the marketing and sales of different companies and their products. Graphic designers tend to work closely with public relations and marketing professionals to better understand how they can easily communicate their message as it should be presented out there.